When I first became pregnant, I wanted to go all out on pictures! And why not, right?! It is such an exciting time in a woman's life! Every mommy-to-be should have someone preserve these memories that will last a lifetime.
Meet Kiari, one sweet mommy-to-be I met for a mini-session. She was one strong momma to come out in heels for this maternity shoot we had at Amos Herr Foundation in Lancaster, PA. I had so much fun capturing these for her and just look at that glow on her face!
As I display some sneaks from this session, I want to share a few tips for having a great maternity shoot:
- Rest and Relax. We all know how easily a woman gets tired during pregnancy. A day before the shoot, be sure to get lots of rest and stay hydrated.
- Wear a dress that YOU are most comfortable in. It is super trendy these days to wear something long, flowy, and dreamy --and I'm ALL for it! But it's important to realize that not every momma out there may be comfortable in that style. What matters most is that you wear something that is special and at the same time COMFORTABLE!. After all, this session is all about you.
- Search your favorite poses and ideas. Use your favorite search engine --PINTEREST! Don't we all just love pinning and saving inspiration on Pinterest?! I love it so much! Just remember not to get too carried away, trying to duplicate something that's already been done. Make it a unique experience to treasure for a lifetime and to share with family and friends!
- Wear comfortable shoes. You'll be on your feet and posing for an hour so it's best to wear a comfortable pair of shoes. If you have a special pair that you'd like to show off in a few pics, bring it along and change. I was stunned to see Kiari pull out her beautiful floral heels for a few pics-- and then, of course she changed to another more comfortable pair of shoes.
- Have your hair and makeup done. Okay, this does not mean that everyone needs to spend big bucks at a salon. Having a professional do it is great but it can get expensive. Always a good idea to save when possible and DIY, right?! For hair, I always love loose hair with big curls--that way your hair aren't too straight and have a bounce to them! For makeup, get your favorite BB Cream, cream blush, eye-liner, mascara, & highlighter. You can never go wrong when you have the mascara and highlighter to finish it all off! BONUS TIP: Lashes always look great in pictures. You can either DIY your lashes or just have a lash expert make them all fancy for you!
- Bring any newborn baby props along. Props like newborn baby shoes, a sign board with something special on it, ultrasound baby pics, baby clothes, are a few baby props that you can consider bringing along to your maternity session.
- Be comfortable and trust your photographer. You want to look your best, so take a deep breath and be ready pose with your baby bump! Relax and trust your photographer to guide you throughout the shoot.
Lastly, don't forget to carry a bottle of water and crackers with you. Always need an expecting mommy to feel her best and stay hydrated. Is there anything else we could add to the list? Share it with me in the comments below.
If you're a new mommy-to-be and need someone to document this precious season of your life, I'd love to help you out! Contact me HERE, I'd love to create some dreamy images for you!